Sunday, August 28, 2011

CROSS-fit #55 Legacy

August 25th 2011, Thursday. 5:45 pm.
My grandfather, Joseph Lim, moved on to a better place.
It all happened in my hands, literally. A breaking moment isn't enough to describe it.
All I know is that he is in safer hands, happier, smiling down on us.
It all happened so fast, from 3 weeks ago till now.
I look back and think if there is one thing I did learn from all these...
One which is fitting to honor his life on this blog but... I just couldn't find any at all.
Even still, there is one regret, one regret I will always have...
That I wasn't able to hear of his stories, his life. That I wasn't able to know him more, learn his life lessons.
I'm thankful that a few weeks ago, I was inspired by the moment to actually visit him while he was well.
He smiled and was happy. Little did I know that the immediate next week, he would be admitted.

I wish, yes I wish, that I could have done the past differently.
However, in moments leading up to it. I realized that I did know him.
I knew my grandfather better than anyone else, and that he was going to be at peace.
It was simple, he had left a legacy, a legacy so strong that no one could deny who he was.
It's said that how a tree is like is determined by the fruits they bear.

Perhaps it's like life, we all want to strive to have quick success.
We want so much volume, we want the most out of everything and squeeze it all out.
In any workout we do, we squeeze it all out every single time and we should!
But just sometimes, take time to think about it...
Is this all for nothing? Is me busting Fran out and being the best at it going to mean anything at all?
Then what is?

My grandfather really did outdo himself even till the end.
I may not have learnt much of his characteristics in person, but he really does live through us all.

I know he was one heck of a fighter, cause he didn't give up his battle, he survived 50 years of smoking and gave it up for himself and the family, he fought till the very end.
I know he was a lover, for the last person he saw, the last person he smiled to before he passed on was his wife, my grandma.
I know he was a very hardworking person, cause my mum works harder than anyone else I ever knew.
I know that in his own ways, he loved God tremendously, cause my brother loves God with all his heart.
I know that he was a persistent man, that despite circumstances, he wouldn't flinch an inch, as seen by how Yvonne is like.
I know that gramps was a gentleman, cause he never let any one of his daughters feel left out. Cause his only son was so much of a gentleman as well.
I know that Gong gong was a caring father and grandfather cause his children never went hungry and were always satisfied at every stage of their lives.
I know that his friends will remember him as a capable man, for he worked his way up to success, bringing my whole family up along with him.
I know that he loved his family and every single one of his children. He cared for them and look who they are now, successful, strong man and woman.
I know that he loves to smile, he loves to be happy, cause my whole family loves laughing, loves being together.
I know that my grandfather was a strong man, not physically, but in his heart. Cause I have learnt that from him.
Lastly, I know that my grandpa was a good man, he was a upright, he was proud and he is happy, Right Now.

He's left behind some great legacies.
They may not be great in number, but I'm sure they've all lived in us.
Thinking about it, he may not have taught me much directly...
But looking back, maybe he did, he did move mountains to get me to where I am today.
I won't forget his habits, his gestures, though it wasn't a whole lot of time spent, I will miss them.
I thank God for his life and I thank God for the Wonders that he has left on the Earth.
They may be little, but they're Wonders nonetheless.
Thanks Gong, and your legacy will live on, in me and in all that I encounter, you had a part to play.

So what's going to be your legacy you leave behind? Let it last, let it be memorable.

In the middle, My grandfather, Joseph Lim.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely eulogy, Lionel. Ur grand father sounds like an amazing man. God bless :)

Anonymous said...

Extending deep and heartfelt sympathy to you and your family.