Saturday, November 09, 2013

CROSS-fit #139 Hello shoulder, it's good to meet you :)

Sometimes in life, you take a fall (Literally).
Some falls leave you with just scars and wounds.
But some, gosh, some leave you with a majorly dislocated shoulder.
Well, yes, that happened to me.
I've been through my fair share of injuries but this....
Most 'falls' result in a shoulder impingement,  sore back, sore wrist, slightly pained knees.
Nothing much, really, nothing that I can't deal with.
This on the other hand brought everything to a whole new level.
This 'fall' was the worst (best) that I've ever had.

It's brought me back down to reality, back down to understanding humility again.
That at the root of everything I do, I'm after all, still human.
The injury has hurt me tremendously, on the inside and out.
But at the heart of it all, there's probably more to gain.

I've learnt to appreciate things a whole lot more.
Right now, I'm limited in terms o mobility and that has greatly affected my lifestyle.
The fear of decrepitude (The loss of human function) has never been more real. 
I've learnt to appreciate the small things we all take for granted.
On the road to recovery, I've also learnt that small steps make a very big difference.
It takes effort, patience and a whole lot of humility to do the proper rehabilitative work.

It's a good time to know my body again.
It's a good time to fix up the many issues my body has had since I was 14.
It's a good time to work on my other weaknesses while taking my shoulder out of the equation.
It's also a good time to reflect on my training, abilities and character.

Some 'falls' may come and go.
but the very cliched saying of "It doesn't matter how hard you fall but how hard you stand back up" has never meant more.
The next few blog posts (Whilst I'm recovering) is dedicated to learning about my body, lifestyle and habits that we all take for granted.
Superheroes have their kryptonite. They do fall once in a while.
But really, what matters...
Is how much of a hero you can still be while climbing back up.

No comments: