Sunday, October 20, 2013

CROSS-fit #138 Layers

Very often, we can layer our lives.
We can classify them in terms of priorities, proximity or even intimacies.
But it is also very common, for our decisions to be layered.

There was a post about values and value judgement a couple of posts ago.
This is taking it a little deeper.
Our reasoning and decisions are very often layered in our heads.
Of course, there's the outer layer, the layer which everyone sees.
"Oh I don't Crossfit cause well, I don't wanna be associated with such a place".
"Or, I don't Crossfit cause I think it's too expensive."
There're reasons or 'excuses' for everything we do in our lives.
And we really do like to pin them on the ones that are the most apparent.
Either that, or we simply want to pin them on the ones which make us feel the best,
We want to pin them on reasons which are within our comfort zone, whereby we don't get challenged.

Peel a couple of layers back and those reasons change.
They become something a bit more intimate. They become a bit more painful.
"I don't Crossfit cause I'm afraid of ..."
For the current athlete whom has had a past. They hate being called this...
"I don't Crossfit cause I'm simply lazy...."
It isn't an easy thing to face. To once be a real professional athlete and be called lazy.
But sometimes we need to be honest with ourselves
So don't take the easy route. Sometimes we all need to take a step back.
To take stock of our own lives and the real reasons we make certain decisions.

There may be a 100 reasons.
Of that 100 reasons, 99 could be legit reasons but they may be legit excuses.
Often there's the 1 reason that, deep down inside, is the real factor.
Don't blame the minority for the majority.
Because once that single 1 reason has been addressed, the 99 fall away.

Yeah, there'll be many reasons for many things in our lives, in work, passion, family and even your walk with God.
"I can't cause I don't have any more spare time."
"I can't because the people there aren't my type,"
"I can't because it's just too out of the way."
Maybe that real layer is,
"I don't Crossfit because..."
"I don't go to my Cell Group meetings because...."
"I don't eat dinner with my parents because...."

Take a step back and let's focus on that one reason.

No comments: