Tuesday, October 16, 2012

CROSS-FIT #99 We'll never be perfect

About a week ago, I had my first ever big local throwdown here in Tucson.
It was NASTYYY
It wasn't a big surprise to me that I was the only Asian there.
Pretty much the smallest fellas around, I mean, these guys were huge and were stutting their stuff big time.
But hey, I'm here to compete.
Well, this ain't no 'Rocky' story, I didn't win, man I didn't even make it to average placing
I was quite roughed up at the bottom
Events like these make me see my weaknesses, they humble me.
They make me work harder.

But the point wasn't the learning from my mistakes

I had the privilege to have a real important person by my side the whole time.
My girlfriend! :) ris knew when I was down and when I did better than expected.
However, she said one thing which never really materialized.
Crossfit is a sport whereby people cheer for one another even though they've crossed the line.
Why??
Of course it's the community and everyone's friends around here.
But more than that....

Maybe it's cause we aren't really competing with the fella beside us.
We're competing with ourselves.
We don't need to hope for failure for our opponents to win, we don't need to step on others to be on top.
It's honest and true, it's real to each of us very differently.
Crossfit is so broad that there're bound to be moments where you hate or love the workout.
But at the end of the day, it's about the challenge to one's self.

crossfit | Dan Bailey

I hope Crossfit remains this way, whereby the 'Spirit of the Games' remains this pure.
But more than that, I hope Crossfit athletes stay this way.
Not to cut corners, not to try to best others but ones self.
I hope everyone stays this way, not just athletes, but everyone. 
It's a naive hope, but imagine a place whereby corporations don't step on one another...
Whereby ministers don't throw each other down while pitching their campaigns.
A place where we lift, instead of throw down...

No comments: