Wednesday, August 22, 2012

CROSS-fit #91 Waves come crashing

I learnt from a very knowledgeable man once,
That there're really 2 kinds of suffering in life, 2 distinct kinds.
Of which have originated from the Chinese language.

辛苦 vs 受苦

Now for those whom are oblivious to the Chinese Language,
The former is "Xin Ku" which represents the need suffering incurred when you didn't do anything to deserve it. You get caught in the rain, now that's a form of "Xin Ku" to me....
The latter is "Shou Ku" which in essence represents the suffering which you asked for. It implies that you simply asked for it. You come home past your curfew, that's just asking for it....
Now you may think that "Shou Ku" has a kind of bad connotation to it but it's somewhat neutral until you put it into context.
You experience "Shou Ku" when you go out of your way to make a difference in another persons life, when you take time to meet your grandparents or put in the extra hours just to make that cake.
It's a suffering, yes, but a good kind....

Recently, I went to a surfing trip with my college and it was really a swell time.
However, I had initially thought that surfing was well, an easy thing to do.
The tough part would only be the catching of the wave and balancing on it.
Wouldn't it?
Well, sorry but that totally wasn't the case...
To those whom want to surf in the future, please prep yourself for an extremely tiring time!
The hardest part was in fact battling the waves to get out into a deep enough an ocean.
It was a really hard time to get out there, my shoulders and arms were all steamed up by the time I got to the right position.
It was quite a "Shou Ku" moment for me, I didn't have to get out there to surf at all, but hell I wanted to.
I so wanted to stand up on that surf board and go "KOWABANGA!"
I have no idea if that is even the right spelling to begin with....
Eventually, I did.
Was it worth it?? It was worth every single wave that came crashing into my nose, eyes and mouth.
Was I in pain? Very much so, so much so I think I got an impinged right shoulder.

The point is, that if you want something badly, it won't come easily.
You've got to tide through that period of "Shou Ku".
It will take quite a bit of time, no doubt, but it'll be worth it.


No comments: